There’s a lovely area of the River Itchen wedged between Winnall and Abbotts Barton that is part of the South Downs National Park. This is a loop you can either walk from Kings Worthy or the city centre. It loops around a wetland that is formed by the various streams of the River Itchen.
full screen mode
compass to orient the map – north at the top
locate your current position on the map (browser will ask for permission, works best on phones due to use of GPS). We don’t track your location.
– Tap on symbols for more information about the walks and starting points
– Pan map: Tap on map and drag into any direction
– Zoom In/out: Pinch with two fingers
– Tilt map: Tap with two fingers and drag up or down
– Rotate map: Tap with two fingers and rotate
Laptop with mouse:
– Click on symbols for more information about the walks and starting points
– Pan map: Left click on map with mouse and drag into any direction
– Zoom In/out: Mousewheel or ‘+’ ‘-‘ keys on keyboard
– Tilt map: Right click and drag mouse pointer up or down
– Rotate map: Right click and drag mouse pointer left or right
full screen mode
Start and end point: St Mary’s Church, Kings Worthy, alternative starting point at Winchester Art School in the city centre
Length: 7.4 km / 4.5 miles
Time: 1 hour 35 minutes at a swift pace + breaks
Difficulty: Easy – flat, some of the paths can be muddy after rain
Parking: Roadside, off London Road in Kings Worthy or any city centre car park (alternative starting point)
Public transport: bus to Springvale (SPRING); buses to Winchester central bus station for alternative route
The walk can be combined with walk#6 from Kings Worth to total ca 19 km or 12 miles.
Highlights of walk#2
Walk 2 takes us from Kings Worthy to the Winchester, or the other way round, along different stretches of the River Itchen. The area around Fulling Mill is one of our favourite riverside locations. The path next to the Wykeham Industrial estate in Winnall follows the course of the old Southampton-Newbury-Didcot railway line.
Photos were taken in April 2020.