Two of the three Winchester golf courses, Royal Winchester Golf Club and South Winchester Golf Club are being crossed on this walk. Winchester’s Hockley Golf club is traversed on walk 5. We make a small detour and walk through Winchester Village, the new housing development between Pitt roundabout and Kilham Lane. Many of us driving into Winchester on Romsey Road will have seen the sign ‘if you lived here you would be home now’.
About a third of the walk goes through residential areas. The urban route goes through green spaces like the woodland next to the Westgate school playing fields (at the northern entrance to Links Road) and the paths behind the council offices in Monarch Way. We suggest walking anti-clockwise and leave the two golf courses to the second part of the walk.
full screen mode
compass to orient the map – north at the top
locate your current position on the map (browser will ask for permission, works best on phones due to use of GPS). We don’t track your location.
– Tap on symbols for more information about the walks and starting points
– Pan map: Tap on map and drag into any direction
– Zoom In/out: Pinch with two fingers
– Tilt map: Tap with two fingers and drag up or down
– Rotate map: Tap with two fingers and rotate
Laptop with mouse:
– Click on symbols for more information about the walks and starting points
– Pan map: Left click on map with mouse and drag into any direction
– Zoom In/out: Mousewheel or ‘+’ ‘-‘ keys on keyboard
– Tilt map: Right click and drag mouse pointer up or down
– Rotate map: Right click and drag mouse pointer left or right
full screen mode
Start and end point: Sainsburys, Winchester
Length: 9.5 km / 6 miles
Time: 2 hour 15 minutes at a swift pace + breaks
Difficulty: Moderate – 194 m total ascent
Parking: Sainsburys car park (though watch any potential time limits imposed by car park operator), alternative street parking in Oliver’s Battery or Badger Farm
Public transport: buses to Sainsburys (bus #5) from Winchester City Centre
Highlights of walk#8
Walk 8 contrasts stretches of urban area with the open countryside of two Winchester Golf courses and the fields at Pitt plus a peek into the gardens at Pitt Manor. The lakes at Winchester South are particularly tranquil early in the morning, particularly with a bit of fog.
Here’s an interesting story about the history of the name ‘Pitt’ and the surrounding landscape.
This walk is part of the 12 walks challenge. Photos were taken between April and November 2020.