full screen mode
zoom out to see the entire Clarendon Way (thick pink line)
compass to orient the map – north at the top
locate your current position on the map (browser will ask for permission, works best on phones due to use of GPS). We don’t track your location.
– Tap on symbols for more information about the walks and starting points
– Pan map: Tap on map and drag into any direction
– Zoom In/out: Pinch with two fingers
– Tilt map: Tap with two fingers and drag up or down
– Rotate map: Tap with two fingers and rotate
Laptop with mouse:
– Click on symbols for more information about the walks and starting points
– Pan map: Left click on map with mouse and drag into any direction
– Zoom In/out: Mousewheel or ‘+’ ‘-‘ keys on keyboard
– Tilt map: Right click and drag mouse pointer up or down
– Rotate map: Right click and drag mouse pointer left or right
full screen mode
This walk follows the course of a figure 8 from Houghton to Broughton, up to Broughton Down and back to Houghton on a parallel path. It is the 6th loop along the Clarendon Way.
Start in the village of Houghton, on the left bank of the river Test. There is limited roadside parking in the village.
Length: 14.3 km / 8.9 miles
Time: 3 hours 15 minutes at a swift pace + breaks
Difficulty: Moderate – 224 m total ascent
Part of the way is on the Roman Road from Sarum to Winchester. It is off the actual path of the Clarendon Way at Broughton, though the Clarendon Way follows the course of the same Roman Road further to the west towards Middle Winterslow (loop 7). Here’s loop 5.
This walk will form part of a series The Clarendon Way in 9 easy loops. With the stay at home order no longer in place (from 29 March 2021), it is possible to do this walk if it is in your local area.
Highlights of Clarendon Way loop 6
More walks: walkWINCHESTER 12 walk challenge.